Monday, June 23, 2008

The Past Weekend...

saw me alone again, with Steph being back in Cape Town.

On Friday afternoon, I had drinks with my best non-fishing drinking buddy (I had to clarify that, or the Kosi Fishing Team would gut me). It's always good to get together with "P", as we share more in common than just a penchant for good beer and whisky. We also share views on a lot of things, enjoy the same types of music, and just generally enjoy talking kak.

When I got home, I was at a loss for what I was going to do for the evening so I jumped onto the WWW and looked up the Blues Room, a music bar in Sandton, to see who was playing that night. It turned out to be a local duet, Harris Tweed, whose young singer has a great voice and is multi-talented, playing electric piano and guitar.

I arrived at the door a little before 19h30, official opening time and took a walk around some of the shop windows in the mall. When the doors opened, I was second in the door and was a little unnerved by the big, black, bouncer seated in the entrance. What made it worse was that his left hand was wrapped in a plaster cast. Jokingly, I asked him, "So what does the other guy look like?" and in return he said to me "It's a long story", so I left it at that and made my way downstairs to my table.

I ordered my first Capn's Organ of the night (not the first of the day, as I'd had a couple earlier with P) and looked through the menu, settling on a seafood paella which turned out to be rather dry and disappointing, and full of pieces of bay leaves.

After the meal, I paid my bill and headed for the bar, hoping to get a good view of the band. As it happens, Cherilyn (lead singer) came and stood right in front of me, chatting to some bald dude who gave her a couple of CDs with song names written on the covers. The young lady is very petite, has a rather irritating giggle for a laugh, but makes up for it with her music.

Before Harris Tweed came on stage, there was a solo guitarist, Jonathan Taylor, who did a few of his own songs to try and warm up the audience. When he came off stage, he was walking through the bar and crowd, peddling his CD, but I didn't buy a copy. I did, however, compliment him on his guitar work and the first song he performed, but the rest of his songs were a bit depressing, akin to a male Alannis Morissette, all about breaking up with a girlfriend.

Harris performed for a about an hour and were given two standing ovations and returned with two encores, much to the delight of the crowd. Darryl, co-band member on bass guitar and organ, had about as much character as the floor he was standing on and didn't do much the entire evening except for smile at Cherilyn. She, on the other hand, struck up a great rapport with the crowd and had some of them giggling along with her at her own couple of mistakes.

Almost as soon as they walked off stage, I walked out the door and headed for my car, having had a very pleasant evening.

Saturday was spent watching a number of rugby matches on the goggle-box, including the rather disappointing SA vs Italy match. I reckon, after that performance, the All Blacks are going to annihilate SA in the upcoming Tri-Nations, and the Aussies will probably give us a going-over too. SA were really not convincing in their play, never getting the ball wide enough for most of the game leaving Bryan Habana to go and look for the ball, often getting himself into rucks and mauls for something to do. Anyway, at least it was another win for the team...

And, oh yes, lest I forget...the new Wheelie Bin arrived on Saturday afternoon. All shiny and black, brand spanking new with duct tape still holding down the lid, it looked a treat. Then I took it into the yard and spray painted the house number on it, so that no fucker would come and nick my nice new bin. The Wheelie Bin lady's insurance have written her car off, obviously deciding that it will be cheaper to replace, rather than fix, her sledge. And now they can also justify the huge increase they are going to slap onto her premiums too. As she left, I said to her "Drive safe" at which she gave a small laugh and got into the silver VW bakkie she was using to deliver the bin. Do you think I'm joking, you daft fuckin' cow? People like you cost this country millions every year in unnecessary effort and expense, as well as pushing up my premiums to pay for your fuckups.

Anyway, I pottered about the house a bit, watched the afternoon game and chilled out with a cold Capn's Organ and a hot curry I put together earlier in the day.

On Sunday, I woke up about 8am, and decided I better get up and do some more odd jobs about the house and ended up cutting some wood for the fireplace, as it's quite kewl on some nights. I reckon I just about cut enough for the week, so my back has some time to rest before I have to cut some more.

Once I'd showered, I dredged on some jeans and a long sleeve shirt, zipped up the leather waistcoat and donned my crash helmet and went for a leisurely cruise on the Marauder (the new model is called the Boulevard). I ended up going all the way up to Roodepoort area, then turned back through Cresta, Randburg, Fourways, Kyalami and back home along the Old Pretoria Highway, in total doing about 75km. So much for a short cruise. My butt was killing me by the time I got off the bike.

The evening was spent in front of the telly, with a fire burning in the Morso and I ended up going to bed after the Spain/Italy Euro 2008 football match (it is "football", and not "soccer", and should remain so). Italy just did not want to win the match, and I bet Wreckless is a bit disappointed this morning as he is of Italian descendancy. Sorry dude...next time leave the prima donnas at home and bring the World Cup winning team instead.

Anyway, I went to bed and read my book for a while, putting the light off and listening to the cat purring in her bed on the dresser next to me, a little after midnight.

Hope you guys all had a great weekend too...

5 comments:

Fishman said...

All The way to Roodepoort? Forgot how to get to my house?

Divemaster GranDad said...

Nah...thought about popping in, remembered the picture of the attack dog, then thought about how cold it would be riding back to my place around dark. If I'd had my bike leathers on, I would have stopped by to see if you were in, as it was, I was already close to hypothermia when I got back at 4h30pm...

A 2 Z said...

I remember the Village Walk. I stayed at the Hotel, the Balalaika. I think. I was there for 3 months. No car, with 2 kids age 3 and 5. The days were long... Could not figure out why I was told I could not go out for a walk around the area. I was not told about the crime stuff yet. But I loved the restaurants. Anyway it sounds like you had a good weekend. In my part of the world its summer so we took advantage of the pool, BBQ and gardening. We went looking at small boats but the hub was told that he would probably mobilize to Qatar at mid-July. We will see.

Wreckless Euroafrican said...

Football? What football? Was Italy playing ? I didn't see them on the field? Thought it was abunch of impostors? So it's true, we did play, and lose.
Dammit!
Salagatle!

A 2 Z said...

I need to confess something about last weekend. First I have to explain my mindset. People are rude today in general especially the teenagers.

My girlfriend and I left our husbands at home and decided to go the movies and a bite to eat. Saturday night as we were waiting for a car to drive out these bunch of white trash (that's what we call white slutty girls with loud mouths with no class and no manners here) just drove in or should I say dove in our parking spot almost causing and accident colliding with our car. They thought it was a riot, highfiving themselves. We finally found another spot but I was determined not to let this one go coz this has happened to many times lately.

When we finally finished our meals I snuck a bottle of ketchup (tomato sauce) in my purse. I went back to the white trash car and had fun covering it until I had nothing left. Oh what fun it was!!! We did not stay to see their reaction because I had vented all my frustration and fell very content. This is very out of character for me but everybody has their limits. That is also why I moved out of SA. I found myself screaming and shouting at black drivers. I knew it was time for me to go if I wanted to live another year... OK I feel better now but dont steal my parking spot from me..... :)