Thursday, June 19, 2008

IMPORTANT!!! Motorists beware...

of intersections (at night or day) where you are stopped in poor light, or there are obstructions blocking your view of the surrounds of your vehicle.

I was on my way home from Action Drinkit last night, having only had five drinks over the period of the game and after-game drinks. Certainly, I wasn't in any way drunk. I was, however, very alert as most of us are these days. And just as well too...

I pulled off the highway at the M1 South, Woodmead offramp (over the highway from Makro), stopped at the traffic lights and noticed two black dudes standing on the inside of the road. One was selling bunches of roses and didn't approach me, so he was no threat. The second, however, was quite well dressed in jeans, hoodie and beanie, and looked at what I thought, was me. Afterward, I realised he was actually passing a signal to his accomplice who was in the bushes behind, and to the left, of my car in my blind spot.

He came up to my car, pleaded hunger and I ignored him at which I also got an eerie feeling and looked left to the passenger side. At that exact moment, his accomplice, who had come out of the bushes, looked in my window, briefly at me, then at what was on the passenger seat. All that was there, luckily, was a plastic carrier bag with milk in it. I looked straight into number two's eyes and it was amazing how calm and emotionless he was, like it was just another day in the office.

I immediately realised what was happening and gunned the car forward a couple of metres, at which both of the black fuckers moved towards the rear of the car. I then slammed the car into reverse and gunned it backwards, knocking the first guy on his arse, but not hard enough that he and his mate could not run away into the bush where number two had come from.

I then went forward again, through the red light and moved slowly toward the next intersection, all the while looking for them coming out of the bush again, but they never showed themselves.

I carried on slowly, got onto the phone and called the SAPS to report what had happened and they said they'd send a car to investigate. Whether they did or not, I don't know as I went straight home.

A few lessons for those of you out there to remember, should something like this (hopefully not) ever happen to you:
1. Always be alert, regardless of time of day or night, or location;
2. If you see someone suspicious, do not focus all you concentration on him, but watch your side mirrors for his companion/s.
3. Watch out for suspicious persons making strange signals to someone you can't see;
4. Make sure the first suspicious person knows you are aware of him. I pointed my index and middle fingers at my eyes and then at him, to show him I was watching him. As in my case, however, it will not always deter them;
5. If the location is poorly lit, do not come to a complete stop, rather keep moving slowly forward, check the intersection and then go through the red light;
6. If there is a camera at the intersection, stop. If something happens here, you can move forward and hopefully get the camera to take a picture of the fucker who is trying to infringe upon your rights to safety;
7. Keep the SAPS emergency number on your phone, 10111. Save it as the first number in your phone book, so that it is easily accessible;
8. Report all incidents of this nature. The more that are reported, the more that has to be done by our lazy SAPS and the more of these fuckers might get caught;
9. If you are not already, become a member of eBlockwatch (it's free and nationwide) and report ALL incidents to them. They have serious connections into the SAPS and they are successful in many cases of bringing criminals to justice.


In the words of an old TV series police office (Hill Street Blues, I think it was), "Be careful out there..."

3 comments:

Fishman said...

Why did you only bump him????

Tammy said...

He may have only been looking in your windows but it's still a serious invasion of privacy and threatening behaviour!

Especially if it's two guys surrounding you!! There's obviously malicious intent there!

I hate worrying about you guys, please move back to the UK!?!

Wreckless Euroafrican said...

I would have knocked him down, and then ridden over him several times to ensure he forgets every detail of my car, registration plate, day of the week/month/year. Then I would have gone home and steam washed the chassis. But then thats me. Glad u r safe....
Salagatle!