Tuesday, August 28, 2007

TAXI!!!!

I don’t have a car at my disposal in Riyadh, and my colleague is not always available to drive me to and from my hotel from the office. On top of which, he lives on the other side of town with the office in between us and it’s a bit out of his way.

Which means I have had to take a taxi for the last three days. Now, taxi is probably too strong a word for these vehicles. They are more like smelly, rusting, dented boxes on four wheels and a good deal of them should not even be on the road (sounds strangely like SA minibus taxis). Typically, they are Toyota Corolla-size vehicles, but that’s as far as the similarity goes.

On top of it all, people here (everyone, not just taxi drivers) drive like absolute maniacs, making SA taxi drivers look like angels. There are beautifully marked lanes on most of the roads. And the markings are not paint, which might wear off through use, or burn off in the heat. They are cats-eye sort of things that stick out a couple of centimeters.

However, although these are great markings, they are probably the chief reason why people drive like they do, straddling two lanes. Absolutely no-one drives in a single lane unless there is someone in another lane pushing them over, hooting as they pass. That’s another thing…it’s annoying as all hell, but everyone hoots impatiently at each other, even at red lights, for no particular reason. Usually it’s just a single toot, but I think it’s just to make someone aware that you’re behind them and want-to-get-going-as-soon-as-the-light-turns-green-
so-best-you-get-into-gear-now-and-don’t-delay-me-any-
more-than-you-have-to-cos-then-I’m-going-to-jump-on-
the-hooter-until-you-get-the-hell-out-of-my-way.

Worst of all is my colleague, CC, also a Scotsman (as I’ve mentioned) who drives like there’s a pack of armed Sassenachs behind him wanting to look up his kilt to see if he’s wearing underwear or not. He drives all over the road, sometimes crossing three lanes at a time, and there have been times that I’ve found myself gripping the door handle in abject fear of what he’s doing, or what could happen. CC says he’s only had one small accident. Rriiiggghhhtttt……

The traffic police system here is a fuckup. If a Saudi hits a western-driven car from behind, it’s the westerner’s fault. If an Indian driver hits anyone from behind, it’s the Indian’s fault. If a westerner hits an Indian-driven car from behind, it’s STILL the Indian’s fault…..go figure.

As much as I dislike driving around Shit Towne, I’ll take that over driving here…any day…

Get me a beer someone……

5 comments:

Wreckless Euroafrican said...

I now have a selection of beers here for you, u keep asking, I keep buying, u don't drink it?
So, I'll just sit here, read the crap u write, and others, and drink a couple of ice cold ones.
And, tomorow (wed) I'm meeting fishman for a frosty!
Salagatle!

A 2 Z said...

I left S.A. to get rid of the smoked meats and now I live in Canada surrounded with ahabs. Aint no better.

Jeannine said...

I was in London today and had Arabs hooting away at all the traffic lights. They will do away with the polite British system in no time. The streets were swarming with Moslems everywhere I looked--block after block, after block. I found myself looking frantically for anyone of European descent wondering what on earth is happening to the U.K.

Divemaster GranDad said...

There is such a thing here called an "Arabian Second". It's the time taken between the traffic light turning green and the first hooter going off...typically less than a "normal" second...

Hazel Donovan said...

Wonderful blog post. This is absolute magic from you! I have never seen a more wonderful post than this one. You've really made my day today with this. I hope you keep this up!
cash for car brisbane
cash for cars brisbane