Thursday, August 16, 2007

It's been a rough week...

particularly for Steph.

On Wednesday last week, while I was in Charleston, her father passed away after suffering a heart attack in the early hours of the morning. My being here didn't help the situation as I couldn't do anything to help in her time of need, except to stay in touch telephonically to see how she was doing. While she didn't have the best of relationships with her father, his passing still affected her as he was one of her parents and I think it would affect anyone in these circumstances.

We flew my parents up from the coast as some small form of support while I was away and they all met me at the airport on Saturday afternoon when I got back, tired but glad to be home after the 16hr direct flight from Washington. I was glad to see how "chipper" Steph was but, knowing how strong she is mentally, wasn't too surprised.

We held the memorial service on Monday morning in their home town of Nigel, with only a few close friends and family in attendance. Before the service, however, there was a viewing, and it really hit Steph's sister hard to see her father lying there. I felt myself sucking back a few tears as well while I held Steph during her viewing, more for her than for her father whom I didn't know all that well.

Following the service, we had a few of the attendees come back to the folks' house for tea and snacks, a couple of us had a beer to toast the old man, and we went home following a short visit to the life assurer who is covering the cost of the funeral.

On Tuesday, Steph went back through to Nigel to see how her mum was doing (she also has some health issues) and I was surprised to see that she brought her mum back to our place that afternoon. Over the last few years the old lady has developed a dependency on some medication and, with us trying to settle her into an old age home so that she can get decent medical care, she has to go into a clinic this weekend as a form of "rehab". The old lady's mind is very clear at times, but after a few pills, she loses all lucidity.

That night, I felt Steph trembling to herself as we lay in bed and I know it's all starting to take its toll on her, so I held her until she dropped off to a restless sleep.

On Wednesday, Steph and the old lady had a long chat about what has to be done, what she's allowed to take on her medication (we're limiting her intake to prescription limits) and today they sat together and drew up a list of what has to be done about the estate and possessions in the parents' house. Some of the stuff (tools and the like) will come back to our house and I'll see if I can use them or I'll give them to someone who has use for them. From what I briefly saw, there's not much I'll be keeping. There's a whole bunch of old clock and watch parts which we will take an inventory of, then approach a watchmaker to see if he would like to buy them. At least that way, we'll get some return on the parts for the old lady.

The big issue I have is that this evening I fly off to Saudi Arabia for a three week project and again will not be here to help Steph do what she has to with the house contents. Luckily though, Steph's sister and her man will be going through as well so they'll be able to help in my absence. I'll sort out the stuff when I get back to Shit Towne.

It's at times like this that you can see just how raw a deal life can dish out to some folks, as I would rather be here helping Steph get through this than heading off on a work project into the middle of the Saudi Arabian desert. Unfortunately, this time, I don't have much choice in the matter...

3 comments:

Wreckless Euroafrican said...

My thoughts are with you and Steph. Hang in there guys. Travel safe my friend, and Steph, if you read this, call me if you need anything.
Salagatle!

Unknown said...

Please pass my deepest sympathy to Steph at what must be a difficult time.

Unknown said...

Sorry to hear Stephs news, please give her a hug from Alan and I.

Love Auntie P and Uncle A