Monday, July 30, 2007

Hey Dax...Welcome...

A new reader of my ramblings appeared over the weekend, and it's a warm welcome to Dax, an ex-pat from my part of the world.

Dax was good enough to leave me a comment on one of my postings...

"Hey Steven,Stumbled on your and fishmans blogs by accident. Absolute pleasure, bud. Stayed down the road from you in Midrand from when it was still halfway house,rode the Quarry and the river below Buccleuch. Done Sani and Lesotho umpteen times, some in snow on Scramblers, some in low range. Millstream and Dullies , (sigh) Thanks for a call back the past moment.Quietly sitting here and remembering the Himeville arms,Dullstroom Inn and all the pubs around you in Woodmead and Midrand. Regards Dax in Ireland"

Well Dax, I'm sorry to say that you'd no longer be able to ride the Jukskei River area below Buccleuch as it's all been fenced off for the Gravy Train...oops, sorry, the Gautrain. It's basically cut Buccleuch off from Midrand and has gone right through the middle of the conservancy between the two areas. It's done an, as yet, undetermined amount of damage to the wildlife in the conservancy but then the governmoont doesn't care about conserving anything, does it? We used to hear jackals as early as 8pm while sitting outside having a braai, but now we're lucky if we hear them in the very early hours of the morning, usually around 3am.

As for being in Ireland now...where about are you? My sister's in Dublin and in the last couple of years, I've been over twice. Fuckin' brilliant place, is Dublin. It's one of the places we're considering moving to if we ever leave SA.

Dax, are you going to publish your own blog? I tried to view your profile but Blogger told me it wasn't available for public viewing. Come back regularly and see what else is happening around here...

5 comments:

Daxk said...

Hi Steven,Yeah, i'd heard about the gatruin and the damage it's doing. amazing, the biggest Leguvaan I've ever seen used to hide out in the bushes just past the second bridge.I swear he/it was as big as an Alsation.
When I left in 04 Blue hills and the ride from the Reeds was also becoming dangerous...and the Chloorkop Quarry was history without firearms.
As for the rest, nope, Blogs are hard work and I usually only get creative after the second case of Beer.
Will check out the profile thingie but essentially over 50 , wife just passed matric , 8 year old daughter etc
Live in a very beautiful place called Ardrahan, Galway, Co Galway
and moving here was the best thing I could have done and the reason was the same as most.
4 of them, driveway and house, and a return visit when they were out on bail.same old same old..
Would have preferred warmer climes but time and an existing Irish passport helped to limit choices.

Ireland is a veery good choice at the moment,they need skills , economy is still growing, reminds me of Sarf Effrika in the 60's and 70's , no burglar bars , locked doors , mommies leave cars idling while they stand and chat a hundred yards away.

I have gin clear Trout and Salmon streams within a 5 mile radius, and brown trout are'nt seen as a prize
The bad news??? there's a reason it's green.
Winters are long and the year one and two adjustment is hell, by year three you start living Irish, you're used to dark by 4pm and the weather only means you have to wear suitable clothing, oh, and a braai has 3 plans, the worst one being that you braai in the garage.
Let me know if you want more info
regards
dax

Fishman said...

Hi Dax! For a start you can send us you credit card details (please remember the three number on the back) If their is any other info that I need from you, I will notify you as soon as possible.

Truthsayer USA said...

next they'll want pictures of your wife, sisters, daughter, aunts and hot female friends, clothes optional...

watch out man!!

Daxk said...

Hell truthsayer , they can have the sister, aunts and especially the wifes hot female friends in toto.
I hate waste and seeing as I'd forgotten what I wanted the wife for the last time I managed to catch her they're not much use to me.
I will accept any donations of Rod time especially at the 4th dam/weir at Millstream as compensation.
Incidentally, if float tubing is your bag , there's a sunken tree in the main dam about 30 metres offshore that has some Huuuge mothers lurking.

As for fishmans request of my CC number and pin, had'nt realised Nigerian Crime lords were into fishing, just shows, you never can tell..(grin)

Divemaster GranDad said...

Dax...the Weirs is my favourite spot at Millstream. There, and the big dam just above reception where, even on the windiest of days, the large pine trees cause a natural windbreak and you can still get a decent cast. Wouldn't mind doing some salmon fishing sometime...never tried that. Hopefully, one of my upcoming projects will be in Europe and I'll pop over to Ireland to see my Wee Sistur and I'll give you a shout...

As for moving to Ireland...the reason my sister is there is due to friends who had Irish heritage and the difference in them is amazing. Their son is now playing under-19 rugby and cricket for Ireland too.