Thursday, July 26, 2007

And the Voyager Miles are piling up already...

In addition to going to Charleston next weekend, it's also pretty much concluded that I'll be going to Riyadh (Saudi Arabia) around the middle of August. Every time I think about the travelling I'll be doing, the song by the All American Rejects, Lifestyles of the Rich and the Famous keeps playing in my head.

As part of my new job, I'll be doing quite a bit of travel to places where local teams either cannot cope, or where (like in this case) they have fucked up rather badly.

In this case, the cuntsultant on the job decided he didn't want to do it anymore, transferred to another division, and left the project in the lurch. Fine by me...gets me some more Voyager miles in Business Class and eventually I'll be taking Steph off for a holiday without having to pay for flights. Win-win situation...

The only difficulty I have with going to Riyadh is that my dad came back from a six-month stint there recently and when he heard where I was going, said "no son, stay the fuck away from the place" (almost verbatim, in fact). I'll see how it goes though, and make up my own mind.

So far, looking at the websites, it seems like a nice enough city even though it's in the middle of a rather large sand bunker (maybe I'll take my sand wedge along for some bunker practice) and the only REAL difficulty I have with the place is that it's a "dry country". Nothing to do with the desert, there is absolutely no alcohol allowed!! Now, ordinarily I would turn down an opportunity to go to such a place, but my contact there is another Scotsman and, I'm told, the ex-pats who work there have taken to brewing and distilling their own hooch. So it may not be so bad after all...we'll see...

2 comments:

Fishman said...

Where do I apply for a position?

Anonymous said...

BTW it's Good Charlotte not All American Rejects that sang that ;P