Thursday, November 22, 2007

Previously, I mentioned the price of fuel in Saudi Dryland...

now you can see one of the reasons why it's so cheap...they have all these large old American gas guzzlers to run...

We took a trip down to the Car Souq on my 2nd last evening in Riyadh. CC had mentioned it before and how large it was, but I didn't believe it until I saw it. In Shit Towne terms, it is the size of Sandton. In New York terms, it's probably the size of Central Park. I shit you not!!

You can find any model of car that your heart desires. Hummers (pick a model) are a dime a dozen. I had my eye on a Dodge Charger RS/T, one of the fastest production cars on the road and, after currency conversion, I could have picked it up for ZAR200k. The only downside to that (fuck the fuel bill) would be the import taxes this fucked up govern-munt of ours levies on vehicle imports. Last time I checked, it was 100% of the value of the car.

Chrysler 300C...would make any chick squirm in her panties...

The New Toyota FJ Cruiser...hasn't even arrived in Shit Towne yet...

Rolls Royce...ZAR100k...no kidding, and in mint condition...

Bentley...outside...

Bentley...interior...

Baby Hummer...mint condition

No idea what this was, but it was permanent four wheel drive

Looks like this came out of the Gulf War, but it was a Toyota


Just down the road from the hotel was a car dealer (not aligned to any particular manufacturer), called "My Car", who sold 2nd hand luxury vehicles. Not one of them has more than a couple of thousand km on them, but each of them has a tiny flaw (paintwork chipped, what looked like a bullet hole in the rear fender of the yellow Lamborghini, etc).
Chevy V8 pickup

Ferrari...a dime a dozen...

Lamborghini...the one with the bullet hole in the rear...

Maserati Quattroporte...mmm...

One day when I'm big...Audi R8, next to it was a black one too...and another black Ferrari...


And, by the way, this was my bathroom in the last hotel I stayed in...the shower and bath were a bit small but it was clean... :-)

3 comments:

A 2 Z said...

Wow! These cars are impressive and the prices are out of this world. I'm in the market for a new car and was just looking at the Toyota FJ. It's like a cross between a Jeep, a truck and a Hummer. It's pefect for my type of climate (if I look out the window now the roads are covered in ice and snow and freezing rain is falling. The sidewalks and roads are like skating rinks). The hub said no coz it's a gas guzzler. Gas is $1.15 a liter here so I'm back looking at boring Honda Civics or VW Rabbits. Groan!

Divemaster GranDad said...

Hi A2Z...our gas is now more expensive than yours...mind you, it wlays has been. We're at R7.something to the litre, more than your dollar-something. The cars there are simply amazing. I would put money on it that there are more GMC Suburbans in Riyadh alone, than there are in the entire USA. Ford Caprice's of every shape, size and model...all that's missing from them are the "black and white" markings (cop cars, for those who don't know)... :-)

I'll stick to my Mazda-rati Drifter 4x4...not too heavy on diesel and runs like a dream. Chances are, I won't come off second best to a taxi either...

Tammy said...

wow that Chevy pick-up is pretty :)