Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Pay It Forward...

As a few people know, my Cuzzin Ross was out to see us in Africa recently, and from what I've seen and heard it blew his mind. From my perspective, it was great to spend some time with one of the more intelligent members of our family, and be able to show him a tiny piece of this great continent (that might explain why I've been here for 36 years with no immediate intention of going anywhere else in the world). Since he went back, Ross has stated on a couple of occasions that he had a great time out here and wished that there was some way he could say thanks in a meaningful sort of way. His words were enough for me and it was our pleasure having him out here, and I was thankful for being able to use his sleeper couch when I was in Edinburgh recently, but I've come up with a not-so-original way for him to consider paying us back...or is that paying someone else forward? I'm sure a number of us remember the cheesy movie "Pay It Forward" with Kevin Spacey and Hayley Joel Osment? (Just what kind of girlie name is that for a guy anyway - slap his momma) Well, the challenge to Ross is to find someone halfway around the world, get them to take a trip to Edinburgh and show them the best of Scottish culture and scenery...show that person a different part of the world that they might have their own epiphany. I know Ross is up to challenges, so he might just take me up on it...if he doesn't, ah well...his verbal thanks were enough for me anyway...

No comments: