Monday, November 17, 2008

A Weekend of Ups and Downs...

it has been...

Saturday started off as a nice peaceful day until the Scotland vs South Africa rugby match at 16h30pm. You can imagine how confident I was when, as an ardent Scotland supporter, it seemed that we were going to win the game...even the referee thought so as he was giving us much of the possession.

Then you can imagine how much I was shouting at the television set when that same referee gave the game to the Springboks...

The Boyz in Blue gave their all and were, aside from the referee, the better of the two sides on the field and should indeed have won the game. As it was, the 'Boks stole it with a result of 14-10 after the Scots went to sleep in the first twenty minutes of the second half.

Incidentally, living in SA, I support the 'Boks and the other SA national sides (except Banana Banana, who are a totally fucking useless bunch of overpaid prima donnas like their international counterparts) against whomever they are playing. All, except that is, as a born Scotsman, if the 'Boks are playing Scotland I will support the great land of my birth...and I will sing our national anthem "Flower of Scotland" with as much glee as it was written.

My daughter, born in Durban though now living in Glenrothes, Scotland, supports the 'Boks and was at the Murrayfield stadium taking some really good pictures, as shown below. She was "gutted" at half time seeing as her team was losing, but took great glee in sending the photo of the final score in response to my "send me a photo when Scotland wins" text message I sent her with the return message "here's your "winning" score"...thanks for nothing, babe... :-)

Here's some of the photos...


On Sunday, we awoke to a gloriously calm day, hardly a breath of air coming off the ocean, so we decided to go for a walk on the beach with the animals. This time, however, at my insistence we were going to start our walk from Kommetjie beach in the opposite direction to where we normally start our walks.

I found a little parking area right off the beach and piled the dogs out, on their leads. As it was the first time we had walked here, I thought it prudent to reign them in for a little while first.

The area onto the beach is quite rocky and a bunch of the local "subsistence" fishermen were launching their boats from the slipway. We walked in a northerly direction, towards Longbeach where we normally walk and let the dogs loose to explore. They had a great time until, a little while after we visited the wreck pictured below, fuckwit Duke decided a little boy was having too much fun with his dad. The brown bastard attacked the little boy, and although did not puncture the skin, did mark his ribcage and the little guy will have some bruises over the next few days. We all shouted and chased Duke but by the time we realised that he wasn't fully playing, he had made his mark.

Needless to say, we apologised profusely but the damage was already done and from there my day was totally fucked, I felt so shit. I put Duke back onto his lead and training collar so that he could not enjoy the rest of the walk while the two girls romped around. I think they could also sense something was not right as they were subdued for the rest of the walk as well.

Not that I care much, it is apparently in dogs' nature to attack a being that is exhibiting the same kind of behaviour that the little fella had been. I say I don't care as, if it happens again, Duke will not live to see that night.

I say the event really fucked up what had started as a great day as we went to the Barnyard Theatre in the afternoon to watch "Rock Me Amadeus" and I just didn't enjoy the show all that much, thinking about what had happened on the beach earlier.

Here's photos of the wreck, taken with my camera phone. I paced it out to be roughly 77m from stem to stern but I can't find out the name as it is not on any website (or our GPS) that I can find...

14 comments:

Tammy said...

The better team definately won on the day!!:P How could Scotland miss the free kicks they were given??

No wonder the ref started to favour the 'Boks when he saw the Scots were wasting their chances!!

Guaranteed the 'Boks didn't play their best, but the Scots didn't exactly play like they wanted the World Championship title! :P

Anyway, I hope the kid is alright and Duke doesn't try that again!

Love, always
xoxoxox

Tammy said...

P.s. I'm back on blogspot...

http://foto-journey.blogspot.com/

Figured if I can't express myself in words, why not do it in pictures :D Just gonna put up some of my best work (in my opinion) :P

xxx

Fishman said...

Quite sad to hear about Duke. Dogs that bite never stop. You will not be able to trust him again. Time to shop for a ten meter retractable lead.

Fishman said...

By the way if it was my Child, Duke would have had its last day on that beach.

Wreckless Euroafrican said...

So u got dog problems too.... ouch.
The big round thing in the pics looks like a boiler... so, it's the remains of a steamship?

Salagatle!

Bruthafromanothamutha said...

Dude - Duke - wtf??
I feel for the kid and for you guys - if it was in this asshole part of the world like Fishman said - Duke wouldnt be around.

take it easy bro

Bruthafromanothamutha said...

PS. Scotland play Argentina at Hampden Pk tomorrow night at 8pm GMT

G'waan yer'sel big man and someone make sure tae twat Maradona

Bruthafromanothamutha said...

and I cant believe the losing the 'boks logo is really going ahead - geez - like there arent any real problems in the world that need sorting out

Bru

Tammy said...

BOOO!!! keep the bokke logo, what are we gonna call the team? the proteas??? daft idea...

Tammy said...

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/save_the_springbok_logo/index.html

Anonymous said...

Hi DMD,

On the beach between Noordhoek and Kommetjie lies the wreck of the Kakapo high and dry on sands about 50 metres from the sea.

It was a steamer, and that big round bit that you measured was one of the old boilers, so I was told.

On the 26th of May 1900 a 108 years ago this ship which was on its maiden voyage from England to Australia stopped at Cape Town for coal. After leaving harbour it was caught in a north westerly gale and ended up steaming full ahead onto the beach. The crew did not even need their lifeboats as they jumped off the ship and walked up onto the beach to safety.

The story is however quite strange as reports say that the Captain mistook Danger Point for Cape Point and thus made too early a turn and landed up on the beach at Noordhoek.

Bruthafromanothamutha said...

Tammy - thanks - I voted

Big Man this is for you - many versions but when Englands name gets inserted I have to pick this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybxfZoT6VHQ&feature=related

Wreckless Euroafrican said...

Steamer - boiler..... Now where did I read those words before...
Salagatle!

WF is cragua

Divemaster GranDad said...

Wow...this is the most comments I've ever had on a posting...

Fishman...if Duke was a cat with nine lives, this would be (and is) his last. There are no more chances for him. The only thing that saved him this time is that he did not hurt the boy badly and that a lot of it was in his rough way of playing. Even speaking to an animal behaviourist, she agreed that it is in any animal's nature to do this sort of thing as the boy was seen as being a "weak link", but that it has to be watched very carefully. It will not happen again, I can assure you...

Brutha...as above, I don't know what came over the big brown fuckwit. I've always maintained he has a mean streak in him...maybe it's surfacing. He'll be watched like a hawk and will not get that close to kids again. As for Scotland/Argentina, if it's on the box tonight you can bet I'll be watching it. The 'Bok logo has been up for change for a while now, but the politicians have always backed off until now. Maybe the change is for the good...just look at all the test nations; most of them have the national flower on the left breast and the animal on the right. The main thing is that the springbok will be kept, and I believe they will always be known as the Springboks. The cricket team is already known as the Proteas, and it sucks. That anthem at Hampden is a beauty...

Tamlyn...babe, your petition is an honourable gesture, but it is already too late. The sports governing body (and politicians) have already agreed that the logo will change and that the springbok will move to the right side, as the NZ's have with the Kiwi, the Aussies have with the Wallaby, etc.

Raven...good to hear from you again. Thanks for the info on the steamer. I figured she must have been around 100 years old due to the little wreckage that's left, and the condition of that. I'll go and research her and put up a posting.


Wreckless...Your temeperature boils now and then, but no, the posting is not about you. :-)