Thursday, November 20, 2008

RIP, boet...

I got a call at around 7h30am today, of the saddest kind.

It was David, my ex's new husband, letting me know that my ex-brother-in-law, Chris, had passed away at 10h45pm last night. I had heard last week that he had suddenly been struck down with a virulent form of cancer that had ravaged his body and left him paralysed from the waist down in the last couple of weeks.

Since "V" and I divorced about 8yrs ago, Chris and I kept in touch now and then and got together on occasion for a beer and a laugh. What made this news worse is that Chris and I had gotten together in Shit Towne about just six months ago over a couple of beers and he appeared to be in perfect health. I don't know if he already knew he had the cancer, but he didn't let on and he certainly didn't mention anything. In fact, he was his usual joking, laughing, cycnical old self that I have always known which makes his sudden passing more difficult to comprehend.

Chris always knew life as needing to be lived, and there was never a dull or boring moment in his life. Sure, he made a couple of mistakes along the way, as we all do, but he always bounced back as humans tend to do and got on with living his life the only way he knew how to...at full speed ahead.

Saddest of all is that Chris's father passed away a couple of years ago and now the family has to endure this heartbreak too.

Chris's widow, Belinda, is a lovely lady who, as much as she took Chris's shit in her stride, loves him for who he will be remembered as...himself. Chris also leaves two sons, who were the shining lights in his life.

I can still picture Chris's broad smile and I hope it never fades from my memory.

Take care, boet, and say "Hi" to your dad for me...go well...

4 comments:

Bruthafromanothamutha said...

Sorry to hear the news bro - thoughts are with you all but particularly Belinda and 'V'.

But pleasures are like poppies spread,
You seize the flow'r, its bloom is shed;
Or like the snow falls in the river,
A moment white-then melts forever.

Robert Burns


rest well Chris, free from pain and strife and mind that Nae man can tether time or tide.

Tammy said...

Sorry to hear about the loss of your friend

Send my condolences to V and Belinda (although I'm not sure if I met Belinda before) I hope they'll be comforted by the fact that he isn't in anymore pain

Sincerest wishes to everyone xx

Wreckless Euroafrican said...

Free of pain.... Doesn't that just sum it up so well. He's in a better space - I believe he is. Sympathies to you and his family.
Salagatle!

A 2 Z said...

That's pretty sad. It makes us feel a bit guilty that we are still here. Had 2 close friends that just passed away. I find just before and right after Christmas there are many good people leaving us for a better place...