Monday, September 03, 2007

Prayer time, a waste of time...

or at least it is in this part of the world.

Muslims pray up to six times a day, mostly out of office hours, but there are also two sessions during work time. And the Saudi’s use it to their benefit to down tools for a half hour each time, in addition to taking timeout for lunch and smoking (though most of this still takes place behind the smokers desk). Absolutely nothing gets done during those times if, as a practising Muslim, you want to earn your points (although the “points” aren’t tracked, if you miss a session, you have to do some other things to regain your points) so that you remain in favour with Allah.

As I mentioned, there are six prayer times each day, with the start time of each session dependant on the rising and setting of the sun and vary from place to place moving westward. As a result of this, there is a small printed section in the newspapers each day detailing the time for each prayer session, per city. Today’s are as follows:

1. Fajr 4:14am
2. Sunrise 5:34am
3. Zuhr 11:53am
4. Asr 3:22pm
5. Maghreb 6:11pm
6. Isha 7:41pm

And those are the “normal” daily prayer sessions. Once Ramadan and the Hajj (annual pilgrimage to Makkah – known as Mecca to the infidels) season starts in September, there are more prayer times added and the country virtually goes on holiday for the month.

While I’m not slating anyone for their religious beliefs (you are entitled to any religious beliefs you want, so long as they don’t negatively impact on me or anyone else, as far as I’m concerned), Islam does take the whole dedication thing a bit too far in my opinion.

I can actually get stoned (as in stones thrown at me, not as in doped up) for saying these things, but hopefully freedom of expression will spare my miserable infidel, agnostic life…

4 comments:

A 2 Z said...

I guess you are not in the market for a prayer rug ? : )

Wreckless Euroafrican said...

nah, he doesn't even want to wear his dishcloth on his head!
Salagatle!

Shah Khan said...

Just a small correction, there 5 prayers in a day for Muslims, and its not a waste of time rather in any civilized society it is permissible to practice religion in even in the office hours, I live in north America and have worked for number of companies, I did not find restrictions. I know you are not talking about this but its not waste of time, I pray during office hours to fulfill our religious principals which is our first priority at the same time I cover my office time by limiting my lunch time. In regards to people who waste time by taking advantage of this allowable prayers time so there are always religious, non religious, medium all types of people live together, that is part of life.

Anyways I really liked your blog and the way you explained your visits and stay it refreshed my memories from Riyadh.

Shah Khan said...

Oh, by the way, why is shown 6 prayers not 5 because the the 2nd one is not a prayer time, it is just a sunrise time which shows the end time for Fajr Prayer.

1. Fajr 4:14am
2. Sunrise 5:34am
3. Zuhr 11:53am
4. Asr 3:22pm
5. Maghreb 6:11pm
6. Isha 7:41pm

In case your interested to know :)
Chao