Monday, February 06, 2006

While I'm on the sports section...

I stayed up last night to watch the NFL Superbowl. I'd promised myself to do it for years, the only thing stopping me before the fact that it starts at 01h00 local time, and I have work the following day. This year, I thought "Fuckit, I'm watching the game even if it starts at 01h00 and I have work the following day". I had a couple of hours sleep before the start and, at the shrill call of the alarm clock, staggered through to the lounge and turned on the box, just in time to see the team lists coming up. Four hours later, as much as I enjoyed the confusion of the game (due to my average understanding of the rules) and the inane expression written all over Keith Richards' face during their three-song visit on stage at halftime (and Mick Jagger's throwing of a massive pair of bloomers back into the audience from whence they came), I staggered back to bed again, questioning why I had spent the last four hours prone on the couch. As I said, I enjoy the physicality of the game, but have to question how it is that a one-hour long game, excluding the half hour half-time, can be turned into a four-hour drone. With all the stop/start "action", how is it that the athletes can look so exhausted at the end of it all? There's more breaks in the game than in Cuzzin Ross's knees after his bike accident. It's almost as if the entire game is one huge bet to see which of the coaches is going to get doused by the water jug at the end of it all. Next year, I'm going to get some sleep and watch the highlights on ESPN afterwards...they have enough of those to see the entire game spread out over a week anyway. And they call that "football"??? I think not...

2 comments:

jenny said...

You've got a partner here. I too stayed up to watch Super Bowl XL last night. Geoff is a big fan of american football but sadly I find it all too complicated and never understand why they use the term football either. Too much stopping and starting for me! Still I did learn a few more rules last night so was able to more or less keep up! I knew nothing about either team but when Geoff asked who I thought would win I went with the Steelers purely because I reckon they were based nearer Minneapolis...if I'd have gone on the strips I'd have gone Seahawks cos there's was nicer...well seen I'm a girl! Geoff of course had gone for the Seahawks so at least I won!! I admit to dozing off a few minutes before half time and being scared when I was rudely awoken again by Mick Jagger (dear god please tell them it's time to retire gracefully!!) Still no-one does it like the americans eh? It was 3am here when it was over and I feel like shit this morning through lack of sleep!! Still it's all to come again for the nba play off's...now that I will gladly stay up for!

Wreckless Euroafrican said...

So, you stayed up to wath the Super Bowl! This can onlt mean one thing....




YOU KNEW THERE WAS NO WAY YOU WERE GETTING LAID!!!!



HEHEHE ....Wrecked!