Friday, April 24, 2020

There's life, Jim, but not as we know it...

...said Spock when they landed on some or other planet in some or other Star Trek movie.

And it is quite apt for what we are going through these days in this COVID-19 lockdown. It is four weeks today since I left the property, apart from two seperate trips to one of the malls to get some supplies. And it is boring the pants off me.

Life, since being retrenched for the third time in forty years, is quite literally becoming a drag. I'm lucky if I crawl out of bed at around 10am, after being woken at about 7am (if I'm lucky) by either the cats fighting, the cottage tenant tripping the fuckin' burglar alarm, or SWAMBO waking me up with her snoring. Fuckit, I wish I could sleep through half the shit she can.

Once I'm awake, that's it. I cannot get back to sleep again. The only thing I haven't tried is a sleeping tablet, partly because I dont't have any and I don't like to throw that kind of shit down my throat anyway.

So, I read. Until four weeks ago, I was reading about a book a week. Now, I am reading a book every three days, at most. While it probably isn't a bad thing, I am struggling to find good books to read. So much so, that I am now reading the old Sidney Sheldon novels again. I probably read those about thirty years ago, so they seem pretty new to me again.

I have read all the Baldacci, Childs, Follett, Hassel, et al, books and am struggling through Sheldon for want of something newer and/or better. I have a bunch of Cussler novels on the tablet too, but the plot and characters in his novels are all the same. Just change the dates, locations and the bad guy's names and you have the next Cussler novel. Ka-Ching on the way to the bank for Mr Cussler.

When I eventually drag myself out of my bed, I have some breakfast, potter about the house a bit, do some chores, watch an episode of some old series (lately I watched the whole series of Band of Brothers again, and am now on The Pacific - both WW2-based), have a cup of tea, wander about the property, rinse and repeat.

B-o-r-i-n-g.

I need the hardware stores re-opened. Then I can get some more paint and wood supplies so that I can finish my projects around the house.

Until then, b-o-r-i-n-g.

Come on, Cyril, use the establishment to make better use of the resources you have at your disposal. Get the country working again.

Rinse. Repeat.

No comments: