Saturday, March 05, 2011

Abu Dhabi...part bloody 6...

Ok, so the Paddy's ended up beating the Poms. Brilliant. From what I saw, the Poms made too many basic mistakes. Serves them right.

It's Thursday evening, nearly 19h00 and I'm back in Heroes having a pint, and some fish and chips. It's the WEEKEND!!

Doesn't look like I'll get to go fishing as I've been cropped by my contact, I think.

There's plenty other things to do and probably at a fraction of the price the fishing might have cost.

The gRand Mosque seems to be one of the places to see but it has to be done in long pants due to religious custom.

There's also Ferrari World, which could be interesting but I think it's more of an amusement park for kids than for adults. Still, I enjoy roller coasters, so it's an option.

I could try some shopping again, go to a couple of the less-extravagant souqs, maybe just walk along a main street and see where I end up.

that's tomorrow though...

Today was a work day like every other but I think I'm finally getting on top of this project. I probably know more about the client's systems than some of its employees do.

As usual, in at 08h30 and out at 5pm, except that I took another walk to Starbucks for a quiche and coffee, just to get out and clear my head. It really is tiring reading documents and crunching spreadsheets all day long, especially in an unfamiliar environment like this.

Tonight, after my pint, I might just go for a walk. There's a mall not too far away and shopping goes to midnight on weekends.

This has been an unbelievably long trip for me, more than all the others. I can only imagine what SWMBO must be going through at home, on her own in that big house with only the animals to keep her company.

It looks like there might be another cricekt upset on the cards - Canada needs 81 to beat Pakistan, off 107 balls. Definately in Canada's favour...

SWMBO can be a little bit "blonde" sometimes and now and then it irritates me cos I wouldn't have done the same thing the same way. I sometimes get annoyed when she does or says something that affects me in a way I don't necessarily like. That said, we have been together nearly ten years, so there's a bit of give and take, and forgiveness, between us. I'm sure there are things I do or say that she doesn't like either, especially when my logical brain kicks in, or my naturally risk-averse personality takes over. I'm also not very frugal when it comes to spending either, but SWMBO can be and, again, sometimes it gets to me. I guess we're both selfish in a few ways when we want to be.

In the end, Canada lost...threw it away, bloody idiots.

Leaving Heroes, I grabbed the camera bag and headed onto the busy streets. Middle East streets come alive at night, until late, mostly because it is cooler then.

I check out some clothing shops but nothing grabs my attention. Most of the clothing is very poor quality, even worse than we get in SA. A lot of it is shiny, like track suit bling crap...not for me...

I find a couple of electronics shops too and consider buying an iPod (maybe even an iPad) but I resist at nearly ZAR2,600.

By the end of the night, I find i have walked for nearly three hours! I had no idea it was that long and I was exhausted when I finally got back to the hotel.

Needless to say, I put the "do not disturb" sign up on the room door and end up sleeping until nearly 9am the following morning...


Part 7 in a bit...

No comments: