Friday, December 05, 2008

Since I've been in the Cape...

it appears my mates have gone all "responsible" on me.

Wreckless had a good reason for not being with us at Quartz for a few pints last night (Lucky L's prize-giving at school) so it was to be just Fishman, Corner, Jacko and myself sitting out in the "fresh" Shit Towne air getting wasted. Or at least so I thought...

We all pitched up around 5pm, as arranged, with Fishman and Corner already there when I arrived. Jacko arrived a couple of minutes after me. I arrived in SWMSBO's 206cc cabriolet, top down, to the gay jeers and pelvic thrusting motions from Fishman (no, neither of us are gay, the car just attracts weird pelvic thrusts from jeering fishermen).

After pleasantries, I had my third beer of the day having been at a team lunch earlier. Jacko arrived just in time, while I was standing at the bar buying drinks, so I got one for him too. Sitting in the warm, humid, Shit Towne air wasn't all that pleasant as the few weeks I've had in Cape Town has acclimatised me to the cooler air and I was sweating buckets.

It was great to sit and talk shit with the guys again, as it is one way of venting one's frustrations and, being in Joburg, those frustrations build pretty quickly. I couldn't believe the difference in the characters of the people in the different cities. It's as if Cape Town is not even part of South Africa.

We chatted until about 19h30 or so and when I went for a pee, I came back to find Jacko ready to leave, with Fishman and Corner also pleading responsibilities. I finally managed to convince Corner to have an ABF (Absolutely Bloody Final) drink and we threw another Capn's Organ down our throats then headed into the traffic.

On the road back to Buccleuch, the storm that had been brewing over the past couple of hours finally let loose and there was some serious lightning and hard rain that slowed the traffic hooligans down to a scream.

Feeling a little peckish, I stopped in at KFC for a quick Sweet Chilli Wrap and then headed for our ex-neighbour's house where I've been staying for the last couple of nights. We ended up sitting chatting and watching some or other daft TV movie and I was surprised to see that it was after 23h15 when I made my way to the room I was sleeping in.

It's too bad that Wreckless couldn't join us, but I might be back in Shit Towne again next week (still to be confirmed) and I'm sure we'll get together then. And I don't think the others will need another formal invitation to go out for a couple of hours.

Friends are the only thing I miss about Shit Towne and it's always great to see old friends, even if they do have other responsibilities to take care of...

No comments: