Wednesday, January 02, 2008

I must have been a good boy last year...

cos Santa Steph bought me my very own "boat", or float-tube to be more exact for Christmas.

The boat is used to get into all those difficult spots on a fly fishing lake, and I've lusted after one for a while now.

I had a suspicion of what was in the rather large box in the back of the bakkie, once she'd wrapped it in traditional wrapping paper and laboured to carry it from the house to the car (before you think "how chauvinistic", I was expressly told I was not allowed to touch it, or even help carry it). She also gave me a hint as to the contents while we were driving down to my folks ("Did you bring your waders with you?), but it was still a very pleasant surprise when I ripped the paper off on Christmas morning.

Needless to say, I didn't want to blow it up (no, not suicide bomber style) but left it until we got home a few days later. Then I hauled it out to the pool, got out the new pump, and the instructions, and sent the inflated boat into the pool with an "I christen thee Catchalot", minus the broken champagne bottle cos that would have shredded the boat and sent it straight to the bottom of the pool.

Naturally, I had to get a couple of pictures to let you know what the boat looks like...




Now, I'm really looking foward to our next trip out to Dullstroom so that I can get out and catch some fish instead of just using it as a drinks tray as I was above...

8 comments:

A 2 Z said...

Hey, Happy New Year to you and your family! Shit Town looks good right now as I am watching you drink perhaps a rhum and coke floating in the pool. Here in Montreal, we had another major snowstorm and the weather is -25. The water in my pool is a solid chunk of ice and the snow is up to the edge of the fence (3 meters). But, it is sunny. Where is the global warming? We have snow blowers that clean the streets and blow the snow on the lawns. The snow on the front lawn is as high as the roof with a little trail that leads from the car to the front door. When it gets this cold its a race to scrape all the ice off the windows of the car before your fingers fall off. Just 3 more months of Siberia and then Easter. Enjoy your boat and summer and good luck with the fishing.

Fishman said...

Where do you attach the engine?

Wreckless Euroafrican said...

fishman - u stole my question! Salagatle!

Anonymous said...

Hehe...I was also kindda wondering if you attach a Mercury outboard to the back!

A very niffty little thing...bet you could even use it as a boogie board!

Happy New Year to you and your family!

Divemaster GranDad said...

Happy New Year to you all...

A2Z...spot on...Cap'n'Morgan 'n' Coke. The boat can also act as a sledge if required so your hubby could use one too... :-)

Fishman, Wreckless and Aunty R...there is a small hole behind the V at the front where a small electric motor can be added. I'll see how things go and maybe invest in one at a later time.

Wreckless Euroafrican said...

The small hole behind the V in front is for pissing through....
Salagatle!

Divemaster GranDad said...

Wreckless....I've been told it's big, but not THAT big... :-)

Fishman said...

And when you add the deep cycle battery for the engine the whole thing sinks!