Friday, March 24, 2006

What a bureaucratic fuckup...

but at least it's over... Now all I have to do is pack my case and get my hairy Scots butt to the airport on time tomorrow. I'm flying off to Luxembourg, for a week, on business. Unfortunately, I have to fly Air Porra and will have a 9-hour stopover in Lisbon airport before I get to the comfort of a warm bed in my Luxembourg hotel. I'm off to help the guys in Europe on a project involving a large bank and an outsourcing deal we made with them. The project team is investigating the recovery status of the systems and processes (ok, I know you're bored already, but bare with me a bit) as we (IBM) will be responsible for recovering their systems in the event of a disaster. For us to do the recovery effectively, we need to know how critical their processes and systems are before the bank starts losing money, as well as what systems they have in place so that we can build a recovery strategy around the requirements. I'll be in Luxembourg from Sunday afternoon until next Friday, when I'll be flying out at around 14h00. The fuckup mentioned earlier revolved around the process we have to follow and the approvals we have to gain before we can actually book our flights. Believe me, you never want to have to go through this lot. My final approval came through at 16h30 this afternoon, also partly due to another fuckup with my AmEx card (that's another long story altogether). Luckily the travel agents we use are pretty good in these situations so I got my ticket issued just after 17h00. So for the next few days, I'll be swapping cold, rainy weather for more really cold, rainy weather if the Luxembourg weather report is anything to go by. Take care, y'all...speak to you soon... PS...look out for the Air Porra plane flying overhead...you'll recognise it by the hair under the wings...

No comments: