Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Monday 27th Feb...Plettenberg Bay, playground of the Rich and Famous (and now Steven and Steph too)

Awake at 07h30, wondering what time it was and feeling like I'd only been out for about ten minutes, I turned over and shut my eyes again. That was the best thing I could have done, as I woke again at 10h30 feeling great. I got up and put on the coffee percolator, opened the sliding door to the large patio and breathed in the sea air. The beach is about five minutes walk from the flat and I could hear the smallish waves breaking onto the sand. I put on a CD (more of the music in another posting) and heard a knock at the door. "Fuckit, the maid's here", I thought, and answered the door. In a typical Cape Colored tone of voice, she asks "Where are you?". I felt like answering her in a typical Scots tone of voice, thinking to say "Right fuckin' here, in front o' ye, ya daft cow", but settled on "We were sleeping. It's a long drive from Jo'burg". Avoiding further explanations I disappeared for a cup of beans. Apparently the maid had been knocking on the door since about 08h00 and, getting no response, had gone to chat to one of her chums in between occasionally trying to wake us. I took Steph a cup of coffee and left her to sleep a little longer, had a shower and went back to the lounge to have a look at Stan's music collection. What a fantastic, almost eccentric, taste in music he has. Similar to mine in some ways, but also vastly different in others. So much so, that I'm going to dedicate an entire posting to the music I will have heard (and copied) by the time we leave here. Some of the music is a "must have" for you lot...take notes... Anyway, Steph surfaces and showers at about 11h30 and we go into town for a little shopping, have a look around at some of the beach where I will probably go and throw a fly line to see what happens. There's a fantastic estuary here which looks like it could give up a few nice catches on the incoming tide. Back to the house for a light lunch, copy some more music and get my fly gear ready for tomorrow, weather permitting. It's been raining on and off the whole day and I've vowed that if it doesn't clear up pretty damn quick I'm not coming back to Plett as it's rained on all the previous occasions I've been here. "Come to sunny South Africa...bring yer fuckin' raincoat". A couple of beers on the patio, a great dinner of fresh hake, peas and chips, and it's time for the first single-malt of the day. Yummy... Bed at about 23h30, cos I was trying to get back into reading "Catch-22" again...a whole posting coming up on that one when I finish it...

No comments: