Friday, April 09, 2021

Fuck this for a laugh...

 Anybody that says they enjoy moving house is talking PLAIN FUCKIN LIES!!! Lies, I tell you!!


It is possibly the most stressful thing, short of a family death, to ever hit you. Or maybe it's just me. Yeah, nah, yeah....it's not just me.


As some may know, we are moving to Sedgefield on the Garden Route as we sold our house in record time. Literally less than a day. We listed the place on the Friday afternoon, buyers walked in on the Saturday morning, and said "We'll take it." Because of the weekend, they had to wait until the Monday to sign the OTP document, we signed it on the Tuesday when we received it from the estate agent. Done and dusted.


Since the day after we signed the papers, I have been packing boxes, selling some stuff on local FB and Whatsapp groups, getting rid of stuff that we either do not or never had a use for. And I am being absolutely ruthless about what we keep, to the extent that I am selling off old camping gear that is still in reasonable nick, my ENTIRE CD collection of around 500 albums (when was the last time you listened to a CD?...be honest), old dive gear (haven't dived in 13 years), household items where I've thought "WTF did that come from?", gotten rid of old papers from the filing cabinet (will probably get rid of the cabinet too), and am currently cleaning out my garage.


I have already driven away one bakkie load of recycling, one load of old wood off-cuts ("might need that six inches of 2x4 some day"), and I have a second load of recycling (old bits of plumbing and electrical leftovers from over the years) waiting to go. I would have driven it away today, but I tweaked my back lifting a crate yesterday (Doh!!).


I have had people in giving me quotes for removals. Fuuuuuuck, it isn't cheap! It cost us about R20k to move to Cape Town thirteen years ago (+- 1,500km) and it is going to cost just under R30k to move the 465km to Sedgefield next month.


Oh yes, I didn't mention that. The move is on or about the 14th May. I want us out a week before the transfer date is due, which is the 21st May. And, I have just realised, today is exactly five weeks until we move out of Sunnydale. Fuuuuuuuuck.......shit got real!!!


On top of our move, Mum sold her house on the same day that we listed ours. Some big property developer from Witbank came in, saw her place, and said "I'll pay cash for it", then walked out and waited for the papers to sign. It must be nice to have a loose one million rand and change lying around. I've obviously made some bad career choices in my life.


Mum wants to spend her last years "back hame" in Scotland. So, with Dad not being with us, I have been the central point of contact for Mum's move as well. Even worse than doing my own, as Mum is in KZN and understands SFA about selling houses and what needs to be done. Stands to reason, as they bought that house cash about twenty five years ago and Dad handled it all.


What is actually insanely fuckin stupidly ridiculous about Mum's move is that she is taking her trusty Jack Russell, Bruce, with her. Taking the dog isn't insanely fuckin stupidly ridiculous, I would expect nothing less of any of our family when it comes to their animals, rather the cost to do so is. I kid you not when I say it is going to cost R32,000 just for the dog!!!!! More than moving my entire household and motorbike to Sedgefield!!!!! Now I definitely know I made some wrong career choices in my life.


Anyway...I better get back to my boxes...


Take care, y'all...



No comments: