Thursday, February 04, 2010

Fishman and Woodwork

Fishman was going off on his blog about not being able to fish. I know what he means cos I haven't been able to hit the water for the last three weekends due to other commitments.

He was also going off about not being able to do any of his second passion...woodwork, so I thought I'd post a couple of pics of my latest woodworking toy to perhaps get him in the mood again.

I was browsing the Cape Ads on Monday and came across an ad for a "good condition, secondhand DeWalt DW320 radial arm saw". I remember thinking "yeah, right" and wanted to carry on browsing until the price caught my eye. I've seen them priced up to R11k new, R5k or R6k for "good, secondhand", so it was no wonder this price caught my eye.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, I spoke to the seller, made up my mind to go and have a look at the saw, drove an hour to a little town called Darling (which, if you closed your eyes to fart hard, you would drive right through without even knowing you'd passed it - the town, not the wind), took one look, turned it on, agreed to the price, and shook the guy's hand on the deal, loaded up the saw, made the internet payment, then drove an hour back to Cape Town very satisfied with myself.

Anyway, these are a couple of pics of a similar saw (haven't taken any of mine yet as I have to dust it off and put a new table on it)...






So...to piss Fishman off, what did I pay for the saw?


R1, 100..................I kid you not!!!! Bargain of a lifetime!!!

4 comments:

Fishman said...

Brilliant buy!!!! I am a Radial fan, it is a versatile machine, joints grooves circles, cross cut(Main Fuction) ripping....blah blah.... You just need to sort out the table now! The blade must be behind the stop fence, clean cross cuts the blade must be pulled back through the wood other wise it splinters on a cross cut, I will also tell you how to set the table if you give a call

Divemaster GranDad said...

Fishman...thanks for the offer. I'm taking it to my woodwork teacher on Tuesday who will set it up. I even got the original manual with the saw, so I could probably set it up myself according to that as the details are in there.

Radial saws are great to work with...nice and accurate.

Bruthafromanothamutha said...

to make you enjoy your weekend even further.........cheapest 10.5in 1.5HP Radial Saw here is approx 10,050 ZAR - Enjoy bru

A 2 Z said...

I agree with your oriental friend....
His/her name is Nixi...