Thursday, March 26, 2009

Another reason...

for not having completed the Mpame trip report is that I, as of last night, joined the volunteer-based National Sea Rescue Institute (NSRI).

I have volunteered my services to help wherever possible, including within the next few weeks, becoming part of their sea crews who take part in rescues of boats and people in distress in and around the Kommetjie area near us.

So now, I might have some other new material to write about in upcoming postings.

I met some of the crew last night, mostly youngsters either just finished school or, in one case, busy with matric this year. There are one or two "oldies" in the crew but they form part of the land-based support team. I, being in possession of all my faculties and still reasonably able to go to sea and swim a few metres, have volunteered to be on the boat crews. I'll have some courses and training that I will have to complete over the next few weeks, but I should be able to take it all in my stride.

The way I see it is that I have more seafaring experience right now than a couple of the youngsters put together and can hopefully put it to good use.

I will be based at Station 26, Kommetjie, about 10mins drive from us and the closest base to home.

2 comments:

Bruthafromanothamutha said...

of course - you had nothing else to do - right?

Wreckless Euroafrican said...

And may God help anyone who may find themselves in distress in that area......

Good for you bro!
Salagatle!