Monday, May 01, 2006

I've increased my friendship with someone...

whom I used to rather think of as a colleague or acquaintance, but now am also glad to be able to call him a friend. I am glad that we met, albeit through work, and to find that we share a whole lot more than just being consultants for Big Blue, including a taste for fine beer, music, grand scenery, conversation on various diverse topics, as well as accepting each other as individuals. He has also made the last two weeks away from home bearable. Having been in Switzerland and Amsterdam for this time has, while it has been good travel-, career- and friendship-wise, also helped me re-appreciate the people and things I have waiting for me back home. At the same time I met his wonderful, sometimes wacky, family and want to thank them for opening up their home, and lives, to me as a total stranger: Nelly, thank you for the warmth of your home, your assistance with translating my mispronounced Dutch into something intelligible for the kids, as well as inviting me into your home at only the word of your husband who met me but once previously. Silke, thank you for helping me with some Dutch when I was in difficulty (Silke speaks English, better than my Dutch). Though sometimes a little on the quiet side, you are the rock that your brother and sister (and mum and dad) know they can depend on. Your knowledge, for your years, is quite amazing. Nils, thank you for not treating me with utter ridicule when I couldn't understand what you were trying to explain. Enjoy the rugby ball, and I'm sure we'll throw it around again sometime when you come and visit (then we'll see about taking you to a real rugby match, depending on the season). Lastly, but certainly not least, Maritt, comedienne of the family and though the smallest and youngest, has one of the biggest hearts of someone so young. Thank you for your patience with this big ole dumb Scotsman and your explanations of Dutch words I couldn't understand and for playing "Mastermind" with me. You really are a good player. Remember to save up your Euro's so that you can come and vist sometime soon. To the whole family, Steph and I would love to have you come out and spend some time with us. Our home is open to you, any time you like. Thank you once again...Hoi! This is, I'm sorry to say, the only family photo I have of my friends, but I like it. Left to right is Arjan, Silke, Maritt, Nils and Nelly.

1 comment:

Wreckless Euroafrican said...

Hoi se gat! Whan do we go over there and invade thier home and declare ourselver political refugees??

Salagatle!