Tuesday, April 25, 2006

There's been a couple of funny things on my trip...

that I forgot to mention in the previous posting. The first one occurred on one of our many tram trips in Zurich. We were on our way back to the hotel after another pleasant night out. In the back of the tram car was (unfortunately for him as the brunt of this story) a black guy in slightly rasta clothing. He was sucking away merrily on a beer (one of the strange things about Switzerland is that they don't really fron upon public drinking) and as we settled into our standing positions (as the tram was full) he pipes up and says "Are you a racist? Are you a racist?" I was shocked at how he had picked on me to ask this question. I just ignored him, not sure if he really was talking to me, but again he piped up, "Are you a racist? I'm a racist, you know." Quietly to my colleagues, I said "That's nice. I'm glad for him" and left it at that. Not long afterward, he got off the tram, muttering away to himself, still sucking on the beer can. I said to Arjan that what I should have done was go up to the rasta and, in a quiet but menacing voice, say to him "I'm from Johannesburg.....What do you think??" The second funny thing, perhaps insulting to some Scotsmen (though I find it funny), is that Switzerland produces their own brand of whisky, but they call it "Swissky". I shit you not... Apparently it does not have the same maltiness, or peatiness, as real Scotch, but it's a true single malt Swissky. So far, I've been scared to try it and bought it more for its entertainment value than its taste, but I guess I'll have to open it one day...

No comments: