Friday, September 23, 2005

Devastated...

We found out just the other day that the amazing fly fishing retreat we went to in August, Verlorenkloof, burned to the ground in a huge veld fire. And it wasn't just the croft we stayed in either, it was most of the twenty crofts in the complex. To think that we were there just three weeks before, and that it's going to take a couple of years to rebuild, is just mind-blowing. Even worse is that it happened on their own 9/11... The Verlorenkloof website has a series of photos, taken by one of the residents, of how the fire started and spread. Scary stuff...I've seen veld fires over the years, but nothing like this. Sad to think of how it looks now, and even sadder to think that I didn't get any photos last time cos I was daft enough not to have taken a battery charger...

3 comments:

Divemaster GranDad said...

I didn't recognise the name, Lee...I'm used to seeing the Goddess name on CNUT... :-) Welcome to my little part of the blogga world...

Divemaster GranDad said...

Hi Lee...

Nothing like a bit of curiosity...it's a way we learn things...

South Africa, as you are probably aware, has a strong dutch history (what with Jan van Riebeeck and his cronies landing here in the early 1400's, I think it was). The name "Verlorenkloof" is a result of that Dutch legacy and if one had to translate it directly, it would mean "lost cliffs". As you saw in the pictures, there is a huge cliff backdrop to the estate, hence the name.

Divemaster GranDad said...

Let's hope they rebuild it in time...I believe the rebuild is expected to take around 2yrs. I'd love to go back as well...