Thursday, June 24, 2010

Been fishing again...

Went out fishing last Tuesday night, and again this week, up to the Strand area (Gordons Bay side). There were reports of large Spearnose Rays and Broadnose Seven Gill Sharks (also known as Cows) coming out and I wanted to see if I could get me one of them.

All that came out on both nights were fish that I caught. :-)

Last Tuesday I got a large Striped Pyjama Shark...here's its photo...it's probably the largest of its kind that I've seen.


Ugly little bugger and a real pest as they have no natural predators.

Last night I lost a small Spearnose in the breakers and then at 10pm felt the pull of a Cow Shark that I'd been told how to recognise. It picks up your bait, then drops it and it makes it feel like it's coming toward you as you feel the tug and then the line goes slack. It does this a few times and when it's ready to eat, takes the bait and moves away slowly, which is when you tighten up and strike. I was using circle hooks so I didn't strike until I knew he was hooked. The disappointing thing about the Cow is that they don't really fight and feel mostly like a big plastic bag on the end of your line. Ah well, at least I got one of my target species for the winter so far... :-)

You can't see it, but I tagged the Cow before I released her.

The Cow measured 131cm pre-caudal length, which, according to the weight tables, weighs in at 29.1kg.....not bad for a first. "Pre-caudal length" is the length from the tip of the nose to the caudal notch at the start of the tail fin, not to the end of the tail. I also measured full length and it came in at 189cm but the weight estimate would have been wrong as it definately wasn't 98kgs....


4 comments:

Tammy said...

Gonna take us fishing when we come over? Last time I fished was when you took me to a fishing farm when I was little :o)

What else is on your target list for winter?

xoxox

Divemaster GranDad said...

I remember taking you to a trout farm... :-)

Will definately take you out fishing if you want. It'll be good to watch Scott-in-law trying to bring in a sizeable shark like these... :-)

Still on the list for winter is a Galjoen and a White Steenbras, in the edible category. In the non-ed category, a Spearnose Ray.

On the list for summer, already, is a Ragged Tooth Shark and a Bronze Whaler Shark, as well as a 10kg Kob.

xoxo

Tammy said...

You want to catch a Raggie and Bronze Whaler? Off your nut much? lol Hope you're releasing them again after...

I'll stick to little fish ta very much :o)

Yeah I'd like to see Scott try to hook some of those too!

xoxox

Divemaster GranDad said...

All my sharks are released when I catch them...pointless taking a predator like that out.

Apparently Smoothound sharks are quite tasty, but I doubt Steph will be chuffed if I bring home shark for dinner...

Will get Scott-in-law into one of those big Bronzies next year...promise...

xoxo